Inscrit le: 16 Avr 2016
|Posté le: Lun 26 Juin - 18:55 (2017) Sujet du message: [PDF] Annals Of Augusta County, Virginia
The chief object of this Supplement is to preserve some account of many pioneer settlers of Augusta county and their immediate descendants. It would be impossible, within any reasonable limits, to include the existing generation, and hence the names of living persons are generally omitted. The writer regrets that he cannot present here sketches of other ancient and worthy families, such as the Andersons, Christians, Hamiltons, Kerrs, McPheeterses, Millers, Pattersons, Pilsons, Walkers, etc. The genealogies of several of the oldest and most distinguished families—Lewis, Preston, Houston, etc.—are omitted, because they are given fully in other publications. For much valuable assistance the writer is indebted to Jacob Fuller, Esq., Librarian of Washington and Lee University, and especially to Miss Alice Trimble, of New Vienna, Ohio.
J. A. W.
Staunton, Va., March, 1888.
ANNALS OF Augusta County, Virginia.
EARLY RECORDS OF ORANGE COUNTY COURT.
The County Court of Orange was opened January 21,1734, and among the justices included in the "Commission of the Peace," issued by Governor Gooch, were James Barbour, Zachary Taylor, Joist Hite, Morgan Morgan, Benjamin Borden and the ubiquitous John Smith.
James Barbour was the grandfather of Governor James Barbour and Judge P. P. Barbour.
Zachary Taylor was the grandfather of the twelfth President of the United States of the same name.
Joist Hite (see page 10) and Morgan Morgan lived in the lower Valley. The latter was a native of Wales, and about 1726 (it is said) removed from Pennsylvania to Virginia, and erected the first cabin in the Valley south of the Potomac, and in the present county of Berkeley. He also erected the first Episcopal church in the Valley, about 1740, at the place now called Bunker Hill. He died in 1766, leaving a son of the same name.
According to tradition, Colonel John Lewis met Benjamin Borden in Williamsburg in 1736, and invited him to accompany him home, which led to the acquisition by Borden of a large tract of land in the present county of Rockbridge, known as " Borden's Grant " (see page 16). We think it likely, however, that Colonel Lewis first encountered Borden at Orange Court. In 1734, Borden probably lived in the lower Valley, then a part of Orange county, as he certainly did ten years later. When
justices of the peace were appointed for Frederick county, in November, 1743, he was named as one of them, but did not qualify, having died about that time. His will was admitted to record by Frederick County Court at December term, 1743, and his son, Benjamin, succeeded to the management of his Rockbridge lands.
John Smith cannot be located. We only know certainly that he was not the Captain John Smith, of Augusta, who figured in the Indian wars after 1755. He may have been the " Knight of the Golden Horseshoe," named Smith, who accompanied Governor Spotswood in his visit to the Valley in 1716.
The first allusion in the records of Orange to Valley people is under date of July 20, 1736. On that day Morgan Morgan presented the petition "of inhabitants of the western side of Shenando," which was ordered to be certified to the General Assembly. What the petition was about is not stated. The name now written " Shenandoah " was formerly put in various ways—" Shenando," " Sherando," " Sherundo," etc.
On May 21, 1737, the Grand Jury of Orange presented the Rev. John Beckett'' for exacting more for the marriage fee than the law directs." On publication of the banns he exacted fifteen shillings. The trial came off on the 22d of September following, and the minister, being found guilty, was fined five hundred pounds of tobacco. But Mr. Beckett's troubles did not end there. On November 25, 1737, he was reported to court " for concealing a tithable."
In his work called "Old Churches and Families," etc., Bishop Meade says that the Rev. Mr. Beckett was regularly elected minister of St. Mark's parish, in May, 1733, and continued until the